Dr. Joseph P Graskemper, DDS
The Bellport Village Dentist
Each person on my staff has been trained with a special skill so that you, the patient, may look forward to the best possible treatment.
Dr. Joseph P. Graskemper
Dr. Graskemper is highly published nationally and internationally. He has been awarded 6 Fellowships in dentistry and holds Diplomat status in 2 medical/dental legal organizations. Being an Associate Clinical Professor in the General Practice Program at Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine, he is constantly at the forefront of patient care. Dr. Graskemper was the Past Director of Professional Responsibility and the Past Editor of the Post Graduate Literature Review-Journal at Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine. Having attained 6 Fellowships and a Law Degree, Dr. Graskemper authored a textbook: "Professional Responsibility in Dentistry: A Practical Guide to Law and Ethics".
- 1969-1973, Xavier University, Cincinnati, Ohio
Degree: B. S., Natural Sciences
- 1973-1974, Case Western University, Cleveland, Ohio
Graduate School: Biology
- 1974 - 1977, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
Degree: D.D.S., Dentistry
- 1982 - 1987, Thomas Jefferson University, College of Law, San Diego, California
Degree: J.D., Law
- 1977-1979, Lieutenant, U.S. Navy Dental Officer, 1st Fleet Marine Division, Camp Pendleton, California
- 1984-1996, President/Sole Owner, University Towne Dental Group, San Diego, California
- " A Fee for Service Multi-Specialty Group Practice" (a Private Practice)
- 1995-1996, Scripps Memorial Hospital, La Jolla, California - Chief of Dental Staff
- 1997-Present, Brookhaven Memorial Hospital, Patchogue, New York - Dental Staff
- 2004-2011, Stony Brook University Hospital, Stony Brook, New York - Dental Staff
Honors and Awards
- 1983, Fellowship - American Endodontic Society
- 1985, Fellowship - Academy of General Dentistry
- 1992, Fellowship - International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- 1992, Fellowship - American Society of Osseointegration
- 2000, Who's Who in America
- 2007, Fellowship - American College of Legal Medicine
- 2011, Diplomat - American Board of Legal Medicine
- 2012, Certificate of Distinction - American College of Legal Medicine
- 2014, Fellowship - American College of Dentists
- Graskemper, J.P., "Professional Responsibility in Dentistry: A Practical Guide to Law and Ethics", Wiley-Blackwell, 2011.
- .Graskemper, J.P., Forensic and legal dentistry, chapter 1 4: dental law in the united states, Klaus Rotzsche et al, Springer International Publishing AG, Cham, Switzerland, 2014
- Graskemper, J. P., "A New Perspective on Dental Malpractice," The Journal of the American Dental Association, 2002 133 6: 752 - 757.
- Graskemper, J.P., "The Standard of Care in Dentistry," The Journal of the American Dental Association, 2004 35: 1449- 1455.
- Graskemper, J.P., "Informed Consent: A Stepping Stone in Risk Management," The Compendium, April 2005 26: 286 - 290.
- Graskemper, J. P., “The wonderful world of independent contractors,” Dental Economics, 85, 75-77, 79 - 831995, 85: 75 – 77, 79 – 83, 85.
- Graskemper, J. P., “A new perspective on dental malpractice,” The Journal of the American Dental Association, 2002, 133 6: 752 – 757.
- Graskemper, J.P., “The multi-specialty practice – how it began and you can do it too!”, Featured article DentistryIQ.com, Nov. 2009.
- Graskemper, J.P., “Dental Ethics with a New Emphasis: Reflections on the Curriculum”, Bulletin of the International Dental Ethics and Law Society, 2009 Vol. 9, No. 2, p.38 - 40.
- Graskemper, J.P., “Ethics is how you respond to life”, Journal of the American College of Dentists, 2011, 78: 3, 14 – 17.
- Graskemper, J.P., “Professional responsibility in dentistry: what it is and how it works”, Ethics in Biology; Engineering & Medicine – An International Journal, 2 (2):171-174 (2011)
- Graskemper, J.P., “Elder abuse: time for dentists to be aware”, Oral Health Journal, May 2013, p 14 -19.
- Graskemper, J., P., “Review of the Peer Review Process”, Journal of the Academy of General Dentistry, July/August 2015, p. e1 – e4.
- Graskemper, J. P., “Surfaces for Operative Restorations: A Guideline for Diagnosis and Proper Billing”, Dental Economics, June 2017, p. 30 – 32.
Volunteer Professional Service
- 1996, Assisted in the identification of TWA Flight 800 victims
Professional Society Memberships
- 1977 - Present, American Dental Association
- 1977 - Present, Academy of General Dentistry
- 1978 - Present, American Endodontic Society
- 1979 - 1996, San Diego Dental Society
- 1979 - 1996, California Dental Association
- 1991-1996, American Academy of Implant Prosthodontics
- 1991-1996, International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- 1991-1996, American Society of Osseointegration
- 1996 - Present, Suffolk County Dental Society
- 1996 - Present, New York State Dental Association
- 2006, International Dental Ethics and Law Society
- 2007 - Present, American College of Legal Medicine
- 2007 – Present, American Society for Dental Ethics
- 2007 – Present, American Dental Educators Association
- 2014, American College of Dentists
- Member, Patchogue Chamber of Commerce Patchogue, New York
- Member, Bellport Chamber of Commerce Bellport, New York, Member of the Year 2011
- Member, Kiwanis Club of Patchogue Distinguished Past President
- Past Chairman, Board of Directors Maryhaven Center of Hope Port Jefferson, New York
- Active Parishioner, Mary Immaculate Church Bellport, New York
- Board Member, Plaza Medical Arts Center