Call our friendly staff today!
7 Bellport Lane
Bellport, NY 11713
Chipped Tooth at The Bellport Village Dentist
A chipped tooth can really ruin someone’s day! Whether a tooth was broken from trauma to the face, or from biting into a hard candy – it is very often necessary to call our office for an emergency appointment for immediate care. Here is what you should do:
What to do with a chipped tooth:
- First, ensure you treat any other injuries related to the chip. A chipped tooth may be more likely to occur on a tooth where dental work previously was done, or where there is dental decay. If the injury was due to trauma, first ensure there is no injury that requires other medical attention. For serious injuries, call 911 or go immediately to the local emergency room.
- Second, stop any bleeding with a gauze. You can rinse out your mouth with warm water or warm salt water. Depending on the severity of the injury, if you are able to, you may want to take some over-the-counter medication to reduce swelling and relieve pain.
- Third, recover any loose tooth fragments and store in milk or water. Dr. Graskemper may need to use the fragments while repairing the tooth, or use it as a reference for shape or color while restoring your smile.
- Finally, contact The Bellport Village Dentist. As an emergency dentist, we will be available to treat your injury and advise on how to proceed with treatment.
Types of chipped teeth:
- Loose or moved teeth – This is the most severe type of fracture, and it occurs where the tooth sits inside the jaw bone. A dentist will be able to diagnose this accurately with an x-ray and is more common among severe trauma.
- Crown Fracture – This occurs in the part of the tooth above the gum line. A piece may chip off entirely, or there might be a fracture in the tooth.
- Root Fracture – This occurs when the tooth is broken below the gum line. The tooth may become dislodged or removed entirely and the dentist must recover any fragments that are still below the gum line.
If you have a chipped tooth, do not hesitate to call our office.